The word surprise has different meanings to many of us. There is much fun in celebrating someone with a surprise party or gift. But what about those surprising, unforeseen, unexpected events that come along? For example:
- A car accident
- The loss of a job
- The loss of a loved one or child
- A life-changing diagnosis
- Chronic pain or disability
Startling circumstances that suddenly change our lives often include pain, sorrow, loss; and these circumstances often force us to change our perspectives and direction in life. Learning how to move forward is tenuous and terribly difficult. In this powerful, life-giving interview, Craig Johnson shares how he and his family forged their way through several significant surprises—from the loss of his father and his family’s move and career adjustments, to the autism diagnosis of his son, Connor.
Watch the interview:
But that’s just beginning of the story. Through it all, you will be inspired by hearing how Craig’s faithfulness to his family and to the Lord has led to a global revolution personally and professionally. Craig’s compassion for others and his commitment to Jesus are magnetic, revealing that God’s surprises can powerfully change us and provide an abundance of joy and hope.
- Tell us about your family and where your story began and how you dealt with the difficulties that came all at once?
- How did you deal with Connor’s diagnosis?
- When and how did you and your family resolve Connor’s diagnosis and begin to adjust to a “new normal”?
- How did your friends, family, and church respond? What was helpful; what wasn’t helpful?
- What brought you and your family together during this hard time of change?
- How did the process of change unfold?
- How did God fulfill His promise to you, and what resources were developed from your experiences?
- What do you say to those who don’t have a miraculous healing?
- Tell us about your book Lead Vertically.
- What would you say to those who have been hurt by the church or who have been wounded in their soul?
Let Me Hear from You
It’s one thing to hear a message of hope and healing; it’s another thing to trust God through our own hardships. As God promises to provide, His providential hand will be different for each of us.
- Are you feeling forgotten or in despair?
- Have you avoided church because of some past hurt?
- Craig offered an excellent word picture using a cup of water. For some, it is ordinary; for someone else, it is extraordinary. Are you willing to step out, serve others, and listen and refocus as God leads you to see His extraordinary hand in and through you? What are you waiting for?
Let’s talk about these questions as we reflect on this interview with Craig Johnson.
You can leave a comment by clicking here.
Insight for Living Ministries Resources
- Living the Psalms: Encouragement for the Daily Grind by Charles R. Swindoll, 324-page hardcover book or audio book
- Living the Proverbs: Insight for the Daily Grind by Charles R. Swindoll, 304-page hardcover book
- “Getting Through the Tough Stuff of Pain” from the series Getting Through the Tough Stuff by Charles R. Swindoll
- “Trust God!” from the series Celebrate and Trust God by Charles R. Swindoll
- “Releasing Our Burdens Beneath the Waves” from the series Experience the Land and the Book by Charles R. Swindoll
- A Life Well Lived Gift Set by Charles R. Swindoll, 106-page softcover book, 99-page softcover Bible Companion, and 4 messages on 2 DVDs