Life’s challenges can rob us of our joy—especially when circumstances appear hopeless. If words such as fear, pain, illness, sorrow, loss, or doubt describe your life, you need to know you are not alone.
Emily Colson, daughter of the late Chuck Colson, speaks with honest compassion about life as a single parent and the surprising gifts from God she has encountered while raising Max. You will laugh with her, and come to love her, as she shares about how to live abundantly—one day at a time.
Watch the Interview
Emily has been a single mother for most of Max’s life and has learned hard lessons in life, love, and a whole lot of laughter. Emily and Max live on the coast of New England where they can often be found dancing.
- When did you first come face-to-face with having to choose to persevere? What was that like?
- You mentioned a “purpose in it all.” As you live life one day at a time, what purpose do you find?
- What is the hardest part of cultivating perseverance in your daily life?
- While developing the disciplines of obedience and perseverance, you were asked to write a book. What happened after that?
- As your dad’s relationship with Max grew, what was it like for you as a mom to watch that unfold?
- Perseverance also means learning to live unselfishly. What is that like for you today?
- What words of hope and passages of Scripture can you offer to those who are in the midst of suffering?
Let Me Hear from You
We would love to hear from you.
- Perhaps you are wondering how to move forward with hope—wondering if you will ever again feel freedom and joy.
- Maybe you are questioning God’s purpose in your life.
- Perhaps you have been struggling with a lingering illness, a lengthy divorce, or loneliness; and you are longing to connect.
You are invited to share and enjoy community in the comments section below.
You can leave a comment by clicking here.
Insight for Living Ministries Resources
- Hope Again: When Life Hurts and Dreams Fade by Charles R. Swindoll
- Peace . . . in Spite of Panic by Charles R. Swindoll
- Hope for the Hurting by Insight for Living